A good bowl of fried rice is irresistible. This is a basic version of shrimp fried rice is sure to hit the spot when you are craving fried rice. This is a good one pot meal, that can be whipped up on a weeknight. It have carbs, protein, and vegetables and comes together with a few standard items you can whip up some delicious fried rice…Yum! Please substitute rice for quinoa or cauliflower rice based on whatever food preferences you might have.
Before I had my daughter I always bought fresh vegetables and cut everything up for my mise en place. But now I reserve that level of dedication to my weekend food preparation. Instead, I like using shrimp in my basic friend rice, because I have it on hand in the freezer and it thaws in minutes. I also like to use frozen mixed vegetables because they are already cut to bite sized pieces and they cook up in minutes. I hope this recipe helps you as well when you are short on time and want to make something delicious for your family.
- 4 Tbsp Canola Oil (45g)
- 1/2 Lb Frozen Shrimp, defrosted and peeled (274g)
- 1.5 Tsp Ginger Garlic paste (11g)
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion, chopped (130g)
- 1 1/2 Cup Mixed Vegetables, I use frozen mixed vegetables for convenience (306g)
- 1/2 Cup Peas (65g)
- Red Pepper Flakes to Taste (optional)
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce, add 1/2 Tbsp at a time mainly to achieve the right color
- 4 cups cooked rice, preferably this will be rice you cooked the night before (500g)
- 3 eggs (192g)
- Scallions for Garnish
- Salt to Taste
- Heat Canola Oil is a large non-stick pan.
- Add onions and sauté till soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté till fragrant, be careful not to burn.
- Add red pepper flakes to taste
- Add mixed vegetables and sauté till vegetables are soft but still crunchy
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add shrimp and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and dark soy sauce and sauté for another minute.
- Add cooked rice and mix well. Taste test and adjust the salt to taste.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs with some salt and pepper to taste and whisk till it becomes one color, yellow.
- Move rice to one side and add eggs to the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Gently cook egg and scramble it on the side of the pan. When it is mostly cooked but still soft and creamy mix it into the rice mixture.
- Turn off heat and pour sesame oil over the fried rice and mix well.
- Garnish with scallions.