I ate my first Panzanella salad in a restaurant in Melbourne, Florida called the Yellow Dog Cafe. I was so impressed with how delicious it was and set out to figure out how to make in. Enter Chef John, from foodwishes.com. His recipe is AMAZING. This recipe was completely inspired by Chef John’s Panzanella. Although I really wanted to do it exactly the way he says you have to, I did deviate ever so slightly by adding anchovies, some shallots, and capers because I love onions, the umami from the anchovies, and the tangy addition of the capers. This is the perfect summer salad and I have been making this every chance I can get. I hope you give it a shot as well and let me know how you like it too.
- 3 thick slices ciabatta cubed (4.5oz/124g)
- Olive oil, enough to drizzle all over the bread cubes
- Grated Parmesan for garnish
OTHER SALAD INGREDIENTS
- 1 Box Mixed Toy Tomatoes (12oz/341g)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Shallot, minced (0.4oz/12g)
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 2 Anchovies, minced
- Capers to taste (I use about 1 to 1.5 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Olive Oil, enough to coat the entire salad (~1/4 cup)
- Fresh Basil, thinly sliced for garnish
- Add cubed ciabatta bread to a pan and toast it with olive oil till crisp on medium heat. When bread is crisp, turn off heat and sprinkle Parmesan over the bread and let the croutons cool.
- Slit the tomatoes in half and add to a mixing bowl.
- Season tomatoes with erythritol, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add garlic, anchovies, capers and shallot to mixing bowl with tomatoes and mix well.
- Add 1 tbsp red wine vinegar and a generous amount of olive oil to the mixing bowl
- Let sit for 15 to 20 mins for the vegetables to marinate
- Add croutons to the mixing bowl and garnish with a handful of basil.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!