This is another side dish (palya) that I looked forward to eating at my home. My mom made me fall in love with okra because of this side dish and because she is awesome she cooks this side many times just for me. It can be tedious to cut two pounds of okra to make this side, but I promise you the final outcome is so worth it. Okra can be slimy but as long as you are gentle when cooking it, the cooking process will mostly dry it out. I love eating this with Dal Oggarane or Thakkalli Gojju.
- 2 Lbs Okra (845g)
- 1/4 Cup Canola Oil (45g)
- 2 Tsps Sambar Powder (7.5g)
- Generous pinch of Turmeric
- Salt to Taste
- Rinse okra and drain. Be careful not to run your fingers against the skin on the okra as sometimes the fuzz on the outside can be sharp.
- Trim off both the top and bottom of each okra and discard.
- Cut the remaining okra into 1/4 inch slices.
- Replace the above two steps till all okra is cut. It will look like a lot but it will reduce to a third of the amount after cooking.
- Heat oil is a non stick pan, make sure the pan has good height to it for ease of stirring.
- Add cut okra to hot oil.
- Gently toss okra.
- Add Sambar powder, turmeric ( I usually add 1/4 Tsp) and salt (I start with 1 Tsp) to pan.
- Gently toss okra to mix all the spices int he pan.
- Continue to gently toss okra every few minutes till it is cooked.
- Check the taste of the okra and add salt to taste
- Serve hot!